Saturday, March 6, 2010

Go Girls

I watched Angela Braly’s testimony before Congress and could not help drawing the contrast to the testimony two years ago by the automobile CEO’s trying to explain their corporate jets in a similar setting.  Braly, CEO of WellPoint, a large health insurance company, was there to explain their recently announced rate increases.  She was polite but took a firm position defending her company.  When asked what her compensation was, she answered in detail explaining her salary, and all benefits, never looking at a note.  Her inquisitors, the congressional members, as usual looked foolish trying to be tough and get sound bites for the home town media.

I grew up in an age when the sexes were separated almost from birth.  After third grade and through college, I never had a class with a girl in it.  Now it is hard to find a single sex school or college.  My youngest daughter graduated two years ago from Washington & Lee University, which was all male until the 1980s.  Now I am told there are so many bright girls (sorry, I guess I should be saying women) that apply that the boys/men feel disadvantaged.

So when I see a bright attractive woman, there I got it right, dishing it back to some cranky old men, I say “Go Girls!”

1 comment:

  1. "Go girls!" ...but would you hire one?

    I appreciate the sentiment, but also notice that your team, as listed on the website, is exclusively male. I found your blog while researching desirable aviation companies at which to work. Though your history and stable of experts is attractive, it seems The Aviation Group has yet to catch up in hiring practices!

    I commend your blogging efforts -- a fresh feature to see at an aviation consulting firm -- but hope to see you adopt a mixed-gender staff in the future.

    ReplyDelete