Friday, January 30, 2009

Gliding to a Soft Landing

Last year the words “soft landing” appeared frequently in the press. They were used to describe the economy. Today “crash” is the word we hear most often. For a few days in January, the media moved Wall Street and the economy to page 2. "The Miracle on the Hudson" became the lead story. A select few really understand how this could happen. The emergency landing of US Airways flight 1549 was not a miracle, but the result of a crew that remembered their training, and a pilot with a glider rating who understood and had experienced “off-field landings”.

For many years I flew
gliders, or sailplanes as they are known to those in the sport. Racing sailplanes is very similar to sailboat racing but with a third dimension. I was a Naval Aviator for 5 years flying carrier-based jets. I have flow many different aircraft. Sailplanes have always been my favorite. It was in these aircraft I really developed my flying skills.

The article (click this link), “Training for that Moment When Every Second Counts”, explains how Captain “Sully” Sullenberger accomplished the amazing feat of saving his passengers and crew. In this article you will see a couple of pictures including one of a sailplane water landing.

My sailplane was a LS1-f (similar to the one below). I landed it often “off-field” but never in water.

No comments:

Post a Comment